Saturday, November 24, 2007

flock: in brief

The idea of a "social web browser" intrigued me, so today I decided to download Flock and give it a spin. And let me say, a picture is worth a thousand words:



This browser is extremely powerful, surprisingly zippy, and chock full of incredible features. I was amazed at how seamless most of features fit in together. But the interface is just WAY too crazy for me. Rather than resorting to stowing some of the more fine-tuned features into the menu system, they've tried to make a little button for every little feature. The result is a cluttered, chaotic mess of useful but overcrowded options. So basically, I'd say Flock is on the right track here, but they've got to reduce things down a bit before I consider making this my primary web browser. I mean, I'd go crazy if this was what I had to deal with during every normal web browsing experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I tried Flock when it was in beta, and I quickly uninstalled it.

I think that it is a product that isn't strictly necessary: why do I need social networking stuff built in to the browser? Why can't I just go to the social networking sites?

I think the other problem is that I care about a small number of people. A small enough number that I can just manually check their updates on things and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea because chris has like one friend.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home