Wednesday, October 04, 2006

deficiencies

Deficient. I used this word to describe the limiting factor in a chemical equation today. Mr. Ogden has been trying to explain some of these concepts to us for days, and today some things clicked for me. In a gasp of discovery, I exclaimed "So the limiting factor is the one that's deficient!" Mr. Ogden looked quizzical, and responded saying "I guess saying that 'it's the number that runs out first' is too simple for you!" Chuckles and giggles.

Rachelle told me that I'm more of an artistic person than Mathematical or logical. I think she's right. Some words are just fit better in situations like the one in chemistry. If Mr. Ogden had used the word "deficient" early on to describe a limiting factor, I probably would have caught on earlier. "The number that runs out first" is a very general expression (especially in math).

Speaking of deficiencies, how about that message in chapel today? I literally shuttered with disbelief at the climax of the sermon, when I distinctly remember Pastor Markham--while discussing the problems Christians have when they are stuck in a slum of no motivation or desire to grow--telling us that "the only person who can change that is YOU! Are YOU up for the challenge?" You can say that in a synagogue, in a mosque, in a temple, or whatever religious edifice you can think of. The heart of the message we heard today was "try harder, REALLY focus on God, be good, and you'll start to get better." No pastor, teacher, or preacher should EVER deliver a message without relating it to the gospel that makes Christianity unique and true. Otherwise, it is simply not a Christian message. What we heard today was not a Christian message. Plenty of other religions teach you to try harder and do better and serve a god. And that's exactly what we learned today. Is anyone else bothered by this?

The more we talk about how we need to improve ourselves, the farther we drift from Christianity. The more we talk about our need for God's grace as the driving force in growth, the closer we come to Christianity.

People know they're supposed to be good. They get it.

People don't know why, and they have a twisted view of how (by our own efforts).

I'm not saying that we have absolutely no responisibility in our growth. But I am saying that we are hopeless unless we realize the why and the how.

WHY: because I love God. He has filled me with thankfulness and a desire to embrace my freedom and live life as he would have me live it: to the fullest. It's not because I'm under some kind of obligatory contract.

HOW: by His sustaining grace, and by daily recognizing my need for it. Not by relying on my own efforts to get me through the day, or by weighing my own performance with God's standards, but by daily seeing that righteousness comes not from me but from God.

This was not preached in our message today. Pastor Markham, though undoubtedly a Christian himself, did not preach a Christian message. He gave us a pep talk on how to be moral.

I pray that God will send wise speakers our way, who teach not only the moral implications of the law but also the application of the gospel of grace to that law.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

I'm on the same page as you.

The chapel message was starting quite well. Pastor Markham discussed how it's every Christian's duty to be a messenger of the Gospel. I thought that's where he was going to go. He's right that we should not try to hide away in a society without preaching the Gospel, and we should be a good witness to those around us.

However, he did a complete-180 and started talking about being more motivated and doing what's right. The latter end of the message could have come from a dianetics (christian science) seminar. "You have the power in you to do what's best." It may be true that we have power in the Holy Spirit (if we're saved).

I'm not going to discuss it in detail because I'm not going to be negative [I deleted half of my post for that reason]. However, I also hope and pray that some changes will be made at AHCA to emphasize (1) the gospel [we need to reach the unsaved], (2) sanctification and holiness, by God's grace [we need to live a life dedicated to Christ and that reflects Christ], and (3) our personal relationship with God [personal time reading the Bible and in prayer and meditation].

Maybe we should start a club at AHCA for likeminded individuals. I'd gladly sponsor such a club.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home