Wednesday, October 12, 2005

whirring electrons

Today we took the PSAT, which was pretty easy. Nothing much to report there. I'm not a fan of testing, so I'm glad it's over at last.

It's funny how stuff works, I find that I have this craving to go against the mainstream and have my opinions about things, but at the same time, this mentality is a mainstream mentality. EVERYONE wants to have their own unique outlook on different subjects. So really, it's impossible to avoid the mainstream, I've recently concluded. In other words, it's mainstream to try to avoid the mainstream, if that makes any sense.

Let's look at Coldplay for example. They've gone mainstream. It's pretty obvious. Because of this, I haven't been listening to them a lot lately; but more and more I hear people saying the same thing, "I like Coldplay, but they've gone mainstream." What's up with that? Now, I'm listening to Coldplay again. Their latest album is actually great, contrary to recent mainstream opinion. I like it a lot, especially since I'm taking the time to really listen to the songs, which for some reason I haven't already done. So it's not really a matter of "avoiding" the mainstream, it's a matter of choosing a mainstream. Eh, whatever, I'll just listen to Coldplay, and settle contentedly into whatever mainstream I drift in.

So today, we had chapel. Yeah, I know, I have to comment on chapel. Matt even predicted it. Plus points for Matt. So I will say that I LOVE Come Thou Fount, so I was really pleased about that. Great job Brian. The only thing I would have to critique in worship is that the guitar solos from Rodney are AWESOME, but seem to be a little distracting and out of place. Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I think it's important that we avoid the feel of a concert, and make it more like worship. I'm not trying to be nitpicky about this, but I'm sorry if I seem like it. I think our worship team is very talented, and like every musical group, has room to improve.

As far as the message, I can't say much about that. I didn't really feel like I could take something away from that; in other words, I don't know how I can really apply that. I sometimes get the feeling that people think God is some passive, desperate, frail person who begs us to be nice to him. I always see God as this guy who is gentle and merciful, but powerful and unchanging; in other words, he's not begging us to fulfill our purpose, He is using us as instruments to fulfill His purpose. Does a god who says things like "Ok, now, not to be harsh or anything, but I think it's kinda time for you to start considering following me. Please say yes. I'll be very sad if you say no..." sound like the God of the Bible? Not in my opinion. The God I recall has everything in the palm of his hand, and directs all of the forces of the universe, including even the smallest details, such as human beings. When God calls a person, he's not whispering gently in their ear, he tugs at the heart strings and arouses something in the person that can not be aroused otherwise. He opens the eyes of the blind, makes the deaf hear, and causes the mute to speak.

That's what I love about God. He has a will and purpose, and it doesn't matter how much I screw up, He still loves me and will accomplish his purpose through me no matter what; he knows my future, and has it all planned out already, and everything will go according to his great plan. That's very comforting. I'm taken care of, so I can just live my life in peace knowing that it's ultimately going to be fine.

What can be emphasized a lot more is the gospel, I think. One of the best ways to avoid the gospel is actually by good works. I'll say that again. Good works are one of the best ways to avoid the gospel. If we get confident in our good deeds and feel "proud of ourselves" that we are doing so well and that we are getting better and better at being kind and nice, we avoid the gospel. So many times I make this mistake. The whole point of the gospel is that our works are nothing to be proud of. The only good works sufficient for God's justice are those of Jesus, who takes our place before God, righteous and perfect. If we focus on what we do, we lose focus on what Jesus has already done.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. Hasta luego.

Oh yeah, and feel free to comment on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home