Wednesday, October 11, 2006

miserable day

Today didn't go so well. I had high hopes of releasing the newspaper today, but it looks like it'll be at least another day or two before we can get this thing out there. Not too thrilled about that. It's not looking good in the sports department either, since niether of our sports columnists can write. I'm thinking we're just going to have to axe that section, because I can't really get a reliable news source about sports from anyone, the game times are always changing, and it seems like every time I ask about when something is or what the stats are, no one knows the answer. Who does?? Someone PLEASE tell me. That's how I feel sometimes.

We need someone to do sports who can write well and knows what they're talking about. Fat chance on that one, I guess.

I'm pleased with most of everything else, though. The articles we have are well-written, including a couple from our very own Sir GHC Think. We don't have any comic strips or poems, but we have a movie, music, and game review. I doubt the game review will be published, because it's a MA-rated game (Splinter Cell, I forget which one it is). Joe's working on a review for a cleaner game today, I think. Also, the music will have to be screened by Mrs. B. All this sensitivity is understandable, but I think it's an unnecessary hassle. If I select an album that has one single swear word in the entire thing, does that mean I can't do a review on it? It's an interesting dilemma, but that could go far in another direction that I don't really feel like talking about now.

I made a mistake in titling the Boys' Soccer section "Men Kicking Balls." In a moment of stupidity and boredom, along with the fact that the article itself was hastily written and had no title, I thought of it and chuckled to myself. Foolishly, I submitted it thus to Mrs. Bernson for proofing and was returned with the some scolding remarks. Mr. Davies even told Mrs. Bernson that whoever wrote that title should be put on probation. Ouch! I will admit that what I did was immature and unnecessary, but I also thought perhaps that people would take the joke. I didn't really think it would be published that way, but I stuck it in there mainly as a filler. I was wrong, but I think the teachers' judgement may have been a bit harsh.

I feel like Mr. Davies is bothered by me. Every time I'm around, he seems to treat me like I'm some immature complainer who whines about things to him all the time. I will admit that I can be quite critical about things, and often express that criticism loudly and vocally. I can't really be friendly or informal with him like I can with most teachers. Of course, I understand that he is my teacher and Principal, which merits a high degree of respect. But I think maybe he needs to loosen up.

I had a critical outburst today in our student council meeting when I adamantly opposed the idea of having Pajama day as part of our Spirit Week. To me, that day is boring, stupid, and uncreative. It's just an excuse for people to roll out of bed and come to school instead of having to come up with something wild and unique. We might as well have "Uniform Day" where everyone wears black shirts! Yay!

Anyway, I'm going to end this blog post and in doing so end what has been a very long day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man that is funny stuff, but seriously the title "Men kicking balls" it can be taken either way. It depends how they see it and aparently they saw it as negative and inappropriate. So obviously they have a bad mind set if they even remotely thought of that. They're christians they shouldn't be thinking about those kinds of things. Not that I have anything wrong with Mrs. Bernson it's just that it shouldnt have come up.

Mr. Davies on the other hand, pretty much I have the same circumstances with him. He needs to lighten up and take things with a more aproachable technique. You try to talk to the guy and he just ignores you or walks away before you can even get a word out, his job as the principle is too listen to the kids and help them, not too stand there and look in another world. When I see a person that is doing that I really think that they could care less about me and are basically saying too get away I dont want to talk to you. And that is exactly how I feel when i'm "trying" to talk to him.

I know that someone is going to read this and think," Wow nick knows nothing" and although that is probably true I do know what I am talking about here and it's not something I like to take lightly.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home