Sunday, October 30, 2005

lawyer for the human being

Mr. Q, it is unlike me to create two posts in one day, but I feel like I must respond to your comment.

I'm having some trouble understanding your argument for the following reasons:
a) They contradict what I have been posting.
b) You don't have any materials to back up your arguments.

Now, forgive me if I'm sounding harsh, but "works" are exactly what Alma Heights has been teaching us. Works, works, works. If you want a first-class education on works, go to Alma Heights. I have been hearing zero gospel, and zero gospel application. What is the gospel? What does it mean for me? How do I become a Christian? Do my works play any part in my salvation? These are all questions that fail to be answered, constantly. If Bono is fighting for the cause of AIDS in Africa and seeking comfort and peace for a broken world, good for him. I'd consider that a lot more worthwhile than debating whether or not I should listen to certain genres of music, or whether my hair is too long, or whether I swear on occasion. Perhaps, rather than focus on "works," we can focus on the gospel, and how best to communicate it.

What is your definition of serving the kingdom? Is it only listening to Christian music, or only reading Christian literature, or only watching Christian films? Is it making sure our pants aren't too tight or are shirts are too small? Or is it understanding the gospel, communicating it fearlessly and accurately, and using one's high status to effect change?

When Bono says that music should be an expression of the mind of the artist, he is absolutely right. His mind, obviously centered on the gospel, is shown in his music. Sure, he doesn't include John 3:16 or give altar calls in his albums, but he expresses how deeply his life has been affected by it. I believe there is a Psalm (or multiple Psalms) that expresses the writer's utter frustration and anger with God. Does that sound like something God likes? Obviously, since it has been included in his written Word. Of course, the Psalmist submit's to God's will by acknowlegding that he is omnipotent and will have His way, which sounds very similar to what Bono does. Sorry if Bono isn't writing the 57th version of "Open the Eyes of My Heart", but he isn't wasting his time.

And so what if Bono swears? He's expressing how he really feels. I think that's better than having a clean mouth but only exposing your external self (as many artists, even Christians, do). Is someone not a Christian or have a "lower status" with God because they swear? Certainly not. Is a person who has been a Christian for ten years less of a sinner than a person who has been a Christian for five minutes? Certainly not. We are all of us sinners, equally in need of God's grace, because his grace alone is what satisfies his judgement.

So if you want to be nitpicky, narrow-minded, and determined to condemn Bono, then go ahead, keep seeing what he does wrong. I guarantee you it doesn't stop there. I'm sure Bono has done many wrong things in his lifetime. He is a Christian, which means he isn't perfect, but he is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, who is daily accomplishing his good work in him. Bono is a human being. Give him a break!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home