Tuesday, November 08, 2005

of outlets and candy canes

Lately I've had a serious problem of downloading music. I mean, it's serious. I've downloaded so much music (and no, not music from iTunes). So far, I've downloaded Nirvana, The Killers, the Complete U2, the Shins, Dashboard Confessional, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, The White Stripes, Imogen Heap, Jack Johnson, Weezer, Ok Go, and Jimmy Eat World. Some of those artists have multiple albums that I have downloaded. I'll probably continue in the pattern, because even now as I type this post, I can think of other artists that I am interested in hearing. I recommend all of the above artists, by the way:)

What is music? Actually, a better question might be "Why am I so obsessed with it?" Why am I so obsessed with music? I have no idea.

If you wanted to look at it scientifically, you could say that it's various sound frequencies travelling through the air in various frequencies and combinations, and my ears interpret it as good or bad. Yet is goes so much further than that. Listening to music can change your outlook on life, or your mood. It doesn't even have to have words. Somehow, music makes a leap from the eardrums to the soul. What on earth is music? It's quite abstract. Also, pardon me for being blunt, but how did God come up with something like that? What the hell was he thinking? How does it occur to someone to invent something like that? It's amazing. AMAZING.

I think this massive wave of illegal downloading among the general population is sending a message to the record industry: "Lower your prices." I mean, you think about it, you pretty much have to pay $15 bucks for music. My philosophy is that music should be free. My logic is easily disproved, however, because if music were always free, artists wouldn't make money and there would be much less music in our world. But I do think that the record industry should lower the prices on everything. Otherwise, if I'm forced to get music the "legal" way at the same rate, I'll become bankrupt in a month. I really need to stop, though, because my rate has increased dramatically, which gives me less time to listen to music, because I'm constantly downloading new music. I need to take a break and listen to everything I've downloaded thusfar.

Music is incredible, these shall be my closing words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home