Tuesday, January 31, 2006

reflections on winter retreat

Let me start by saying that Winter Retreat was awesome!! I really enjoyed my time, and I'm really sad that it's over. I've been working nonstop on the video lately, so I'm taking this opportunity to stop, take a deep breath, and share my thoughts.

The food was atrocious. Forgive me for my snobbery in this matter, but I remember last year's food being much better. It wasn't just "fried-up American food", it was just plain gross. I really shouldn't complain about that though. It could have been much worse.

Tom did a great job speaking to us, and I didn't disagree with anything he said. Some of his statements were a little watery in a theological sense, but he was trying to come from a universal standpoint, and I applaud him for that because it's not an easy thing to do. I particularly enjoyed his discussion on the unity of the Church, and how vitally important it is for us to "make bridges, not walls" when it comes to our brothers and sisters in other denominations.

I should clarify something. I'm not a presbyterian. I go to a presbyterian church, but I don't really consider myself a presybterian. I prefer the title "truth-seeking Christian." Now, I do think that presbyterians have a more efficient church government, but I don't want to get into debate on that one. I also believe in infant baptism, but presbyterians aren't the only ones to do it. I tend to follow arguments that make more sense and have a stronger scriptural foundation. I think it's important to search and understand the Scriptures with an open mind, and the things I believe are simply things I have come across in Scriptures.

"Getting right" before God? This phrase was repeated several times throughout the retreat and has been in the past. To me, at least, that sounds a bit too much like self-purification, like we have to sanctify ourselves in order to present ourselves to God. I know, of course, that this is not what is intended, but it can easily be confused with something that is entirely false. Jesus presents our souls to God, the Bible describes him as our "intercessor." The gospel is always applicable to everything. The fact that we aren't good enough and are in desperate need of God is vital to our understanding of how we should carry out God's will. It's very important to remember that it is not we who elevate ourselves to God, but God who lowers himself to us, both spiritually (the manifestation of the Holy Spirit) and physically (the manifestation of Jesus Christ).

I felt like I grew during this time. God has filled me with a desire to serve and to do his will, which gives me great hope that he plans to accomplish wonderful things through me. Not only did God draw me closer to him, but to my friends and peers as well. I feel like I got to know everyone a little bit better.

In order to redeem myself for my past criticisms, I would like to say that Pastor Troy is one of the most gifted people I know. He really knows how to relate with us and speak in our language. I don't always agree with what he says, but I know that God is daily using him for His purpose. Mr. Q, you did an awesome job with the MCing for the Talent Show. Seriously, I don't know how anyone can top that. Mr. Davies did a wonderful job of organizing the trip. The only criticism I had with the schedule this year was that the ski/snowboarding was on the last day. I really think it's much better to have it on the first day. I was exhausted and ready to go home by the end of the week. I thought going first was a much better experience. That's just how I felt about it. Perhaps some of you agree. I'm sure there are other people I should thank, because whatever they did, they did it well; Winter Retreat was so great this year. Thanks everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home