Saturday, April 01, 2006

thoughts on mexico

Mexico is coming up! I'm really looking forward to it, though I REALLY hope Mr. Q's back problems aren't severe enough to keep him from going. That would suck royally if he couldn't come. Pray for Mr. Quiring!!

Last year was a great experience. The part I remember enjoying the most was spending some great quality time with the people around me. It's funny, I look at this group and I say "Eh, none of us really have that much in common, like we did last year" (NOT that any of you are uninteresting or inferior in any way). The irony of it is that when we are all forced to be together in close quarters for a significant period of time, we really learn to appreciate each other and find common grounds. I agree with what Mr. Gross said today, about the tiredness. Prior to going, I thought I'd come home and collapse onto my bed and be in recovery for the following week. But in fact, it was the very opposite. I came back even more refreshed and strengthened than before. God really blessed me with the time I had last year.

I also remember complaining about the hasty altar calls and questionable commitments made to the Lord during our time there. Since then I have come to realize that it is not I, nor they, but God who decides if he will remain a strong presence in their life. In a way, it's not really up to us to "commit to God," but rather up to God to commit to us (there IS a commitment that we make, but it is one that is refreshed and strengthened only by God). And this commitment he offers freely to all who's ears are opened to his call. So whether it be through a 20 second presentation of the gospel, or a process of several years and really getting to know the meaning of the gospel in-depth, God can use it to bring his beloved to himself.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-altar calls. The best way to show the gospel to others is by being gracious and loving to them through all things, and genuinely caring for them. The problem I have with altar calls is that it "streamlines" and "organizes" conversions, as if the gospel were an item on the menu of a fast food restaurant. "Winning people for Christ" turns into a speed relay, rather than the extremely delicate and time-consuming task that it really is. I'm also not saying that altar calls are sinful, or evil in any way. However, I believe that it's the cheapest, quckest way to do it. It's too easy to get caught up in the emotion of the moment, and then forget all about it a day later.

I love this quote by lead vocalist from Caedmon's Call, Cliff Young:
"Rich [Mullins] used to talk about how people would come up to him after concerts and say, ‘Wow! The Holy Spirit really moved at that certain point in the song,’ and Rich would respond by saying, ‘No actually, that’s where the kick drum and the bass came in.’ It’s easy to mistake energy and emotion for worship." For those of you who don't know Caedmon's call, they wrote one of the most popular worship songs in history, "God of Wonders."

I have to agree. Lighting, music, and the way things are said greatly affect people's emotions, but too often that is mistaken for worship and "movement of the Holy Spirit." While there is a sense in which we feel God's presence and grace and love in our lives (which is very much there), there is also the logical, unemotional, comprehensive side of the Christian's faith. A healthy balance of both is ideal. Altar calls tend to put all the emphasis on the emotions.

Really, though, the entire purpose of this post wasn't to complain. I've pretty much spoiled that now. But really though, I'm not complaining at all. If we have altar calls and one hundred toddlers drag their parents up there, praise God. Even such a small, seemingly insignificant statement of commitment can be used by God to fulfill his purpose. I pray that he will use us to pour out his grace over the people we minister to, no matter how we do it. I am daily amazed at how God can use such unworthy, blundering sinners like me to proclaim his coming kingdom.

Please keep us in your prayers, and especially pray that no more people get sick or injured!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hope you have a productive trip.


With that being said, on to some serious business.


DOTS FIRST. If you can, get the talent in the talent tree that makes Corruption an instant cast. That way all three of your dots (immolate, corruption, curse of agony) are instant cast and you throw those down immediately at the beginning of a fight, in a group. When you're by yourself you can pull with the shadowbolt but in a group you need to throw those DOTs on first. Remember that you can only have one curse on an enemy at a time, so don't accidentally nullify your Curse of Agony. Whenever a DOT runs out throw it on it again, unless he's below like 30%.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home