Thursday, April 20, 2006

what's the deal with firefox?

I'm greatly saddened by this mystery. I love Firefox; it has more features, more customization, more of just about everything, but it's so sluggish. I'm using it right now, and it's taking forever just to login to Blogger and load a few tabs at once. Safari is so zippy in comparison, I just can't make the compromise. Safari is OK, I wish it were easier to change things (more drag-and-drop action), but the interface is clean and uncluttered looking (as are all Apple programs), and it's really fast. Just from startup time to loading several tabs at once to downloading, Safari is all-around a faster browser. Why? I wish I could make Firefox my default browser, but I just can't bring myself to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it might be running slower? I don't have any extensions or themes at all. Perhaps it's just the Mac version.

I'm also frustrated with iMovie. It crashes at random. Thankfully not too often, but it is still a problem. I've had many a hard project destroyed due to unexpected crashes. I have to discipline myself to "save" every so often, but it's still very frustrating. Equally frustrating is the fact that the movie plays at about 1 FPS when the project goes over six minutes long. That means I can't really edit, because I miss half the stuff I put in there with such a low framerate. So basically, thanks to the new feature where I can have two projects open at once, I edit a section of my movie in a separate project (so I can view it at a full framerate) and then drag it over into the correct spot on my main project. Quite annoying. To be honest, the only real difference between iMovie HD (part of iLife '05) and iMovie HD 6 (part of iLife '06) is that the latter is slower and comes with these weird "themes" that I'm not quite fond of. And the latter is supposed to utilize "CoreImage", which is some newfangled technology in Tiger, but "CoreImage" seems to be slowing things down, because the video on the older version played flawlessly, even with up to 25-minute projects.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret purchasing iLife '06 at all. The integration with .Mac and all the new features in iPhoto and Garageband make it more than worth it.

I'm not too crazy about iWeb though. It's very limiting. Good for getting basic stuff out there, like podcasts, and I've managed to add some of my own touches to the JMix website, but overall it's very hard to make it your own. I think they should have an "advanced mode" that isn't necessarily pro, but does allow you to get more in-depth with html elements and page margins and tables, etc. Luckily, Apple's "in style", so the themes they give you, though limited, are very nice-looking and well-put-together.

Wow, that's what I call going off on a tangent. I wasn't planning to talk about iLife. Adios.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

JM said he's not using any extensions, so that can't be the trouble. Mine loads very quickly, even on my laptop which has so many RAM-hungry features (1-2 seconds). I'm not sure if you can do this with a MAC, but if you can, try to run it in a "safe mode" (not the OS safe mode, but Firefox safe mode). If that is still slow, there is either a problem with that build of firefox you are using or your OS does not like firefox.

To fix it, I would try to completely uninstall firefix (including all the saved settings... you will have to dig for those in the Mac OS). Next, I would try to reinstall firefox's latest stable build. That should over-write or replace any bad files if there were any.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home