Saturday, January 27, 2007

rest in peace, Clarence.

My IBM ThinkPad T40, Clarence, was declared dead at 5:00 pm, January 27, 2007.

This morning we had a student council meeting, and I was typing out the amendments we were adding to the constitution on my laptop. Suddenly, after two long hours of deliberating and typing, the laptop completely froze, and I was faced with no choice but to rely on Microsoft's extremely unpredictable AutoRecovery to salvage my unsaved document as I shut it off perforce, after waiting for an extended period of time.

It was never the same after that. I would start it up, and it would freeze in the middle of booting up. Most of the time, it wouldn't even start booting up. Finally, I managed to get it started with Safe mode. The document had been recovered, so I saved it to the hard drive immediately. Then, restarting, I was able to reboot with the last workable settings. Miraculously, it started up normally and I was able to function for a while. I emailed the document to everyone and uploaded it to the web (now I wish I had done so with all my other documents, as I will probably never see them again).

I can't get it to start up, and when it shows signs of life, it freezes before I can run any diagnostics or start in safe mode again. After removing the battery, replacing it, running on sole battery power, running on sole outlet power, and holding down various keys at startup, I have gotten no responses, and have therefore declared it dead. It was nice to have while it lasted, but after four long years, I think its time finally came. It's really a shame too, because I JUST bought a $50 replacement battery for it.

So...anyone know where I can get a cheap used laptop (preferably a mac) that will last until next summer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home