Thursday, April 19, 2007

concerning my candidacy

It's official: I'm running for President. My nomination slip was submitted yesterday at the start of fourth period.

The reason I'm writing this blog post is to clarify my stance on the issue of student-teacher relations. It seems that people have become a tad over-zealous concerning my previous blog posts, which openly criticize some of the decisions made by the teachers this year.

I would like to start of by saying that, it doesn't matter who's in charge, we students will always have grievances against the school Administration, simply because they are the authority and ultimately in charge of us during school hours, and we would much rather be allowed to govern ourselves. As Christians, however, we are called to respect and honor the authority placed over us. I apologize if my previous comments have been disrespectful in any way--however, I would like to emphasize that I am NOT backing down from my aforementioned convictions. My main criticism is that the faculty has too tight of a grip over student affairs (senior sweatshirts, anyone?)--however, they do happen to have our best interest in mind. So while their decisions may make no sense to us, and sometimes ultimately make little sense at all, we are still indebted to their tireless efforts and genuine care regarding our well-being.

So my goal next year is not to widen the gap between teacher and student, but rather to help heal this festering wound of dissent and apathy. The purpose of the student council, at its core, is to represent the interests of the student body, and to do so in a respectful, honorable, and effective way. The more we remember who we represent, the more relevant of an organization we can be become. Next year, I plan to lead a student council FOR the students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home