Thursday, August 31, 2006

back to school

Monday was our first day of school, and since then it's been pretty good. The schedule and timing has been pretty confusing, but it ultimately works. My concerns below were addressed accordingly, and I'm taking my necessary math class and Bible at the same time. I couldn't take Advanced Math at the same time even if it were available, since Algebra II is a prerequisite. I'm hoping to do some good work in the Math Lab and finally catch up with my peers in that area.

On Monday, I met with a high school counselor to discuss my next two years, and I pretty much have it all figured out. I'll get my required courses, and then some. I was really freaking out in my previous post regarding the school schedule, and for that I'm sorry. I really need to be more flexible with stuff like that. I also need to remember that God has it all planned out anyway, so whatever happens, happens because He wants it to. I always have to remind myself of that.

I'm happy to say that my hopes for starting a school newspaper are about to become a reality. We'll have the computers on Monday and have our first issue out by the 7th of September. We're going to make printed copies, which is a wonderful thing. I was worried that we would only be allowed to post it on the internet, which would not make it very popular at all. Most people don't want to log on to the Alma Heights website (no offense to Mr. Quiring) and read whatever the latest edition is. Sure, people could subscribe to an RSS feed if we decided to do something like that, but most people don't even know what that is and aren't going to bother learning just so they can read our bi-weekly paper. Having hard copies is a great way to make people interested and read our materials immediately, AND it would give them motivation to check out the online version, which would be (hopefully) loaded with media options and more extensive information. The 6th period will be dealing with the electronic version of this paper, while Joe and I will be working with the printed edition. Both of our groups will be gathering materials for the paper, and it will be released bi-weekly (every other week). Mrs. Bernsen plans to have a lunch period where all yearbook/newspaper students meet together to collaborate. We plan to start interviewing and gathering information tomorrow at the Half-Day Retreat, so be prepared to be interrogated!

School's been great so far. God has blessed me with a desire to learn, and I'm starting to take interest in all of my subjects. Certainly, this year looks brighter academically than last year. I just wish I had felt this motivated my since my freshman year. I also hope that my desire and resolve do not fade as the year progresses and as things get harder, particularly with the college application process and the SAT's.

I'm very happy to see how far the Alma Heights High School has come since I started as a freshman. The scheduling this year, though mixed up and not perfectly convenient for everyone, is more efficient than last year's, and allows for a better use of time. I only wish we had one more period (even though it would add more time to our day), so that the schedules were more flexible. I think it would wonderful if we could make Spanish a normal class, so that I have two electives periods. But I'm sure there's a reason for all of it which I'm not aware of. Alma Heights is always in my prayers. I'm very thankful for all the hard efforts and cooperation of the faculty during this momentous transition, and am truly sorry if I have seemed ungrateful.

By the way, if you happen to be looking for a great read, Check out The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges. It's a really great book, and talks about how a Christian should live a life of holiness, and how God's Grace ties into it. It's theme is along the same lines as Mr. Quiring's post on holiness. I haven't finished it (due to homework), but really like it so far. You can buy the book for cheap on Amazon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home