Thursday, August 24, 2006

confused, frustrated, and everything else

What a kick-start to the school year I've been having.

Today was registration. There are ways to describe it. Organized to a degree, yes. But I'm very distressed about the scheduling. I know that it's confusing, that they're going to change a lot before school starts, but still I worry.

This would mark the third year that because of unforeseen circumstances, Yearbook is unavailable. That's only if they don't switch it to 7th period.

Also, what's up with the electives? How is it that ALL of the electives that I'm interested in are in 6th, and all the ones that I've already taken or have little to no interest in are in 7th? I can't take anything except Spanish 2 during 6th because I have to have another year of foreign language. Of course, if I had been able to take a foreign language my freshman year, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm happy that they're changing that now, but I wish it had happened a long time ago.

And then there's Bible class. There are two Bible periods, 3rd and 4th. In 3rd period, I have to take Honors Literature, giving me no choice but to take it during 4th. Only problem is, Algebra 2 isn't offered as a course, so I would have to (and actually would prefer to) take in a Math Lab, so I can go as fast as I want. Also, I would be able to take Advanced Math simultaneously, which would fulfill my goal of taking Calculus my senior year. But I can't take Math Lab, and without Math Lab I can't take Advanced Math (which requires Algebra 2). What's the problem? Bible class is the problem. If the schedule doesn't change in that regard, I'm going to have to say goodbye to Bible class and take a course that actually matters for my education, which is Math. I receive plenty of Bible instruction from qualified experts who have been to a seminary at my church, every Sunday and throughout the week. I appreciate the concerns and care of the faculty for the spiritual life of their students, but the school must remember that they are first and foremost a school, an academic institution, not a church.

If they can make Bible class fit into my schedule without conflicting with the best possible academic options, I'm fine. I'm sure they'll figure out how to get me into my Math class without having to skip Bible, but I won't be able to take two math classes at once like I had hoped. And I see no reason why I shouldn't be permitted to do so. I'm paying tuition at Alma Heights, not to receive Biblical instruction, but to receive academic instruction and knowledge in the liberal arts. That's why I go to church! So that I can receive sound instruction on the Bible and it's teachings, in a community of believers. If evangelical outreach is the school's concern, I would question whether requiring a course on the matter is best idea, much less GRADING them for their performance. Something about that just doesn't seem right at all.

As far as colleges go, they're not going to look at my application and wonder why I didn't take any Bible classes!! I'm pretty sure they're more interested in what kind of math classes I've taken, my foreign languages, extra-curriculars, etc.

Again, things are always confusing before school, and i'm sure things will work out, but I'm frustrated at the moment, and thought that I would share that with anyone who cares. I'm sure most people will disagree with me on the Bible class issue. But I already know your arguments, so before you tell me that we need to be "nurtured in a stable christian environment" in order to grow, I'd like to state in advance that I entirely disagree, and believe quite the opposite. I'm willing to expand on that, but only if called upon to do so. I'm hoping people will just "get it", but most likely that won't happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

Patience, grasshopper.

If you remember the last four years block schedules, you would have recognized that most electives were all during a single period. Now they are scheduled during two. Yearbook was not an academic class, but an after school club.

I believe we will have two sections of yearbook (one in 6th period and one in 7th).

RE Bible: I think most parents send their kids to a Christian school expecting them to take Bible. It's part of our mission to train spiritually as well as academically.

People can grow spiritually in both nurturing and deprived environments. Personally, I would want as much spiritual uplifting and growth as possible.

Anyway, I need to get back to fixing the schedule. I'm taking care of (most) of the conflicts.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home