Sunday, August 20, 2006

making some changes

I've made some changes to my blog, which I think are refreshing and more exciting. Compare that to the dull, blue, tired look of my old blog.



Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. I really did like the old layout, but I got tired of it after a while. I suppose I'll get tired of this one too, and change it eventually. But for now, I really like it. If you guys absolutely hate it, I can always switch back, since I saved the template code in a text document. I also finally figured out how to put a little divider under my "Quote of the Week" section, so it doesn't look like it's attached to the "Links" section. I had tried to do the horizontal rule (hr) code, but the line ended up being too thick. The key is to make it an unordered list (ul), which is what all the other sidebar sections are.

5 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

It's only a few minor changes. I noticed that your header is a very large file size. You might want to compress it to something under 50KB if possible. You might try something different too, like rounding the top two corners or rounding all four corners. Or go out on a limb and do something really crazy... like I did. OK, don't go that crazy.

7:31 PM  
Blogger John Mark said...

Based off of your idea, I decided to go with something that gives the header a little more interest. I also saved it as JPEG before uploading it, so the filesize is 48 KB.

8:44 PM  
Blogger J. Quiring said...

It looks much less boring, and it's a much smaller file size.

Just a typography FYI: When you have rounded corners with a sharp corner in the top-right, it has a tendancy to bring the eye towards the top-right side of the screen. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it makes the flow less vertical.

10:22 PM  
Blogger John Mark said...

I did consider doing it the other way around, but i don't know, something just didn't flow right. maybe it's because the text isn't in a rounded corner, but I don't really like the text placed anywhere else. I'm sure it's just me and my irrational eye, but I think i'm going to leave it like it is.

8:29 AM  
Blogger J. Quiring said...

Like I said, it doesn't look bad. It just alters the flow a bit.

Funny, the "Word Verification" that I have to enter says mtmcfly.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home