Friday, April 21, 2006

jmix mission statement

After proofing this response to my cousin's criticisms on my podcast, I decided it would be an excellent document to copy and paste onto my blog, since it contains a concise, accurate description of the purpose of JMix.

----------
Dear "Critic,"

Due to your exceedingly critical criticisms, I am obliged to respond to you. I would like to express some of my thoughts on this matter.

1. JMix is a podcast, owned and operated by myself, John Mark, and myself alone. No one else picks the songs on JMix. Rodney had suggested the songs, but ultimately it was my decision to play them.

2. Comments are to be made for the purpose of suggesting better alternatives to general problems that you see in the podcast (dictation, introductions, effects, organization, etc.). Telling me that I must have been held at gun point in order to play a certain song isn't exactly going to change anything.

3. The purpose of JMix is not to play things you like. It is to expose you to things that you would not ordinarily be exposed to. This does not by any stretch mean that it is inferior or worse in any way, as you seem to be implying; it is merely different. Music will be played on a basis of how unique it is and the amount of talent behind it (with rare exceptions--the Spice Girls song was placed there only for jest.)

Now, to more specifically address your complaints.

Bucket Head, though a strange and eccentric band, is also one full of incredible guitarists with more talent and creativity than you or I can fathom. Rodney is a friend who is my age, yet can play guitar at the level of some of the most highly regarded legends. He places in the top three in guitar-playing competitions in the Bay Area. Do you know how huge that is? The Bay area is not only San Francisco (which is already a huge amount of competition), but also Tiburon, Marin, Berkely, Daly City, Pacifica, Montera, and various other outlying suburbs that surround the bay. I'm pretty sure that means he qualifies as a talented musician, who is more than worthy to play a short sample of his playing on JMix. The sound quality was not top notch, simply because our funds are limited, thereby making our equipment quality limited. If you would like to make a donation to JMix in order to improve your user experience, please send a check to 1639 8th Avenue, San Francisco, CA, 94122, and address it to John Mark Harrell.

You may not like the hardcore, not-so-easy-on-the-ears style of rock, but I can assure you that it is not garbage, and it does have a musical theme that is different from other styles (thus, "Rock" was made into it's own genre). Punk bands like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are NOT examples of rock (not that I'm saying you like them, I'm merely expressing a point), rather they are the mainstream's cheap imitations.

I'm certainly not saying you have to like it. In fact, I'd prefer that you admit that you dislike it rather than pretend that you do like it (there's nothing worse than that). However, we must give credit where credit is due, and in this case, you need to say that, although you wouldn't prefer listening to this music in your leisure time, you do understand that there was an enormous amount of talent behind that song/artist. I myself have to say that about certain artists. Take Christina Aguilera, for example. I really don't like to listen to her music, but she has an undeniably amazing voice. I respect her greatly for her talent in that regard, but personally wouldn't listen to any of her music in my leisure time, purely out of preference.

I hope my response has been helpful and straight to the point, though it was a bit extensive. I also hope you'll continue to find good things in my podcast, as I continue to strive to deliver talented artists and unique, different styles of music.

Thank you for your concern and involvement,

John Mark Harrell
CEO, Big Nose Productions
-----------

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

CEO?

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home