Saturday, June 03, 2006

the final stretch

I've been studying nonstop since Wednesday. Every spare moment has been spent filling out my study guides. It's the sad irony of life, I guess. The final stretch is the hardest. This year has been one of my worst academic years.

For one thing, I've really slacked off. Procrastination is the key word here. I've procrastinated and often put off things for so long that I've neglected to do them altogether. I get concepts, and I understand things, but I don't do the work, and that's my problem.

But also, out of pure honesty, I was completely disinterested this year. It's not so much that I had distractions (though there were a few), but I really was bored with all my classes this year. I simply was not interested in what I was learning. Usually I enjoy learning random things in different classes, but this year I was utterly disinterested in all my subjects. My least favorite class was Geometry, hands down.

I will say this though, and I PROMISE it's not because I know Mr. Q reads my blog or that I'm trying to kiss up to him or anything like that, but Biology was my favorite class this year. I couldn't stand all that genetic and hormonal study we did at the tail end of last year, but learning about all these bodily systems and life processes are much more interesting. I also like the fact that Mr. Quiring answers our questions. We can ask just about anything we can think of, and he's ready with an informative answer. It's really great, because we get to learn about things that we actually care about or are interested in. We do talk a lot in his class though :P. It's definitely a class I would look forward to, especially after a dull period in Spanish class.

Other than that though, I really didn't enjoy my other classes very much. Art was wearisome, and producing a sketch, though seemingly an easy task, turned out to be a pain in the rear end. Instrumental ensemble was OK, but basically the exact same as last year. Also, our pieces are extremely boring. It's not just that they're easy for me, they're just very bland and boring, like boiled chicken or unseasoned mashed potatoes or Nickelback.

I'm really looking forward to next year. In fact, I almost want to hurry up and get through my busy summer schedule so I can get started on next year.

On second thought, forget that. I want a nice long summer, but I will be glad when next year comes. I'll be more involved with school affairs (yearbook, newsletter, student council), and I'll try some new electives (I'll DEFINITELY be taking photography, everyone is always raving about that class). After photography, I'm not sure. I may just have study hall, since Yearbook technically counts as an elective. We'll see. I'll be in Honors History next year, which I look forward to, since Mr. Shapiro seems like a pretty cool guy. Miss Herber will be teaching Honors English (most likely), though there's an extremely small possibility that Mr. Boyd might do it. Either way is fine, but I would like to have Mr. Boyd, purely for the sake of refreshment. Miss Herber was a fun teacher though, so either way is fine with me. She's got some great stories.

Anyway, I'm done updating. It's quite late, and I'm exhausted from waiting on tables for four hours (though I did get a cool 50 bucks out of it). Good luck studying! See you all on Monday.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Quiring said...

I can relate to procrastination. It used to be one of my worst habits, and still sneaks up on me if I let it.

Check your motives -- be sure you are doing things for the right reason. Are you getting good grades because it's expected of you? To please your parents? To go to a good college? To honor God? I used to write something in my planner on the top of my homework page: "Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." or sometimes just "Do all to the glory of God." That was just a reminder of why I was doing it. Sometimes I still need the reminder.

Heb 12: 1-2 "Therefore let us also, seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising its shame, and has sat"

Next year is a new year! Put procrastination behind you and work diligently to please God.

(PS - I'm glad you liked Bio. I like answering questions. When you ask questions, at least I know you're thinking.)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home